Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Using what we have been given

It was hard to put into words what the five of us were thinking. We had been thinking it for weeks I am sure, but now it was a reality. The entire time we were preparing for the trip we knew the emphasis of the trip was medical, we also thought God was going to provide the medical staff … and He did just not in conventional ways. The June 2006 Haiti team consisted of six people, only one with any medical background (formally). The rest of us had at least been to a doctor a few times in our lives. There we were, knowing we had been called to Haiti at this time, but to do this … be “doctors.”

It was Saturday night and Doctor (an actual one) was reminded of the story of the feeding of the 5000. Five loaves and two fish were blessed and provided for a mass of people despite logical improbability and resources. The following Monday five “loaves” and the “two fishes” loaded themselves into the Pastors truck to make the journey to the medical clinic armed with a crash course in communicable diseases, basic pharmaceutical knowledge, and an expectation of watching God work in ways beyond our understanding.


He did.

Four days and 1400 patients later we all stood in wonder of what only God could do, and awed that we were a part of it.

Often when I share about my trips people respond with …

“I don’t have the time…”
“I don’t have the resources …”
“I can’t really make a difference …”
“I don’t have the skills …”
“I am not called to do that …”

I respect what they are saying and where they are in their faith walk. But I have to say that after being witness to the medical clinic I no longer have those excuses. My prayer is that you will be lead by our example to step out on faith and start passing out loaves and fishes … you will not be empty handed.

1 Comments:

At 5:13 PM, Blogger John Three Thirty said...

I love this story.

It is beautiful...and sad.

It speaks of the core of what Jesus says is the Way.

Helping others is not complicated. And yet the (American) Body is so filthily rampant with excusitis.

"Many will come to Me on that day and say 'Lord, Lord', haven't we prophesied in Your name and driven out demons in Your name and done many mighty works in Your name?' And I will tell them publicly, 'I never knew you. Depart from Me, you who act wickedly.'" (Matt 7:21-23)

This verse strikes the fear of God in me.

I do not want to be among those to whom this is said.

And yet left and right, in America, are churches who are spending millions on buildings and sound systems and lighting systems, while people in their own backyard can't make their rent.

There are rock-star-glamour evangelists who are raising $20 million to buy corporate jets to "take the gospel around the world at 600 mph". (Mission accomplished, by the way. They've raised the $20 million.)

And that's what makes your story so beautiful. Unglamorously giving care to people.

It will never make the headlines. Never be published in any newspaper or magazine. And that is how it should be.

"When you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing".

That is why Jesus smiles on it.

And that is why it is so beautiful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home